A healthier option for your Holiday meals without compromising on rich flavours. Lots of greens, the sweetness of the squash and the tart of the feta come together for a really fun bite and a beautiful addition to your Christmas table!
- 1 small-medium butternut squash
- 1/4 cup wild rice
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup Spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup kale, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 Tbsp feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds. Cut 3-4 lines, about 3/4 of the squash deep, up the length of the squash, flesh side up.
- Rub lightly with oil and bake at 425CF for 20 minutes.
- Scoop out flesh and set aside, bake shell for further 10 minutes.
- Cook rice with some salt according to instructions
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil and cook half of the onions and garlic until transparent. Add scooped out squash and cook until squash is tender. I try to stir gently as to not make a mash. Small chunks is the texture I aim for. Season with salt, black pepper, rosemary and thyme. Set aside.
- Heat another Tbsp of oil and cook remaining onions and garlic until transparent. Add kale and mushrooms until cooked. Add rice and spinach and cook until spinach is wilted. Season with rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Stir squash into rice mixture lightly until evenly distributed.
- Stuff each half of shell with the mixture and top with feta. Bake at 425F or until feta is browned.