Not trying to start any fights here, Rasgulla, Gulab Jamun, whatever you call it! It is SO GOOD and the easiest Indian sweet to make. We love having it as an addition to all the other sweets but its definitely a favourite. We like adding a little bit of extra spices but You can use the Cardamom alone for the more traditional flavour.
[ingredients title=”Ingredients for syrup”]
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp rose water
- 4 cardamom pods
[ingredients title=”Ingredients for Gulab Jamun”]
- 1 cup milk powder
- 6 Tbsp AP flour
- 2 tsp oil
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, ground
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- Oil for greasing hands
- Oil for frying
- Make syrup first – Boil Sugar, water and cardamom pods until thickened (about 10-12 minutes) Add Rose Water and leave on low heat while frying Gulab Jamun
- Mix milk powder, flour, Ground spices and baking soda so the ingredients are blended.
- Mix oil, milk and lemon juice and pour into milk and flour mixture.
- Rub together to form a soft dough (if too soft, let sit so milk powder can absorb liquid, if too dry add more milk
- Grease hands with oil and roll small balls, dough should be soft enough to form a smooth surface with no cracks
- Fry on medium-low heat until golden brown. Add to syrup and soak for 3 hours.