This tart is perfect for Christmas morning or brunch (or any day with ham leftovers). Looks really fancy but the filling is so simple. To make it vegetarian simply leave out the ham and add extra veggies.
To make things easy, prepare crust the night before so its just to fill and bake in the morning.
- 1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
- 3-4 Tbsp ice water
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup ham, chopped
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp dried cranberries, chopped – optional
- To make crust – combine flour, butter and salt in a food processor and blend until the mixture resembles bread crumbs
- Add 3 tablespoons of ice cold water and continue to blend until moist clumps begin to form, add 4th tablespoon if necessary
- Form ball of dough, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Coat tart pan with cooking spray and press dough into pan. Leave in freezer until use (can be left overnight or frozen for weeks in advance
- Before filling poke holes throughout crust with fork and bake for 10 minutes at 350F
- To make filling – fry onions in tablespoon of olive oil until brown, add ham, mushrooms, cranberries and spinach and cook until spinach is just wilted. Leave to cool for 10 minutes
- Whisk egg then add to ham mixture and stir to coat
- Fill crust with the mixture and then top with pieces of the goat cheese
- Bake at 350F for 10-15 minutes or until crust edge is golden brown