Meal prep this week is also lent friendly. Trini salt fish buljol is low calorie (107 cals per serving), healthy and a good way to get those veggies in. I usually pair it with some sprouted toast, sada roti or some hard boiled eggs for a very filling meal that falls in under 300 calories
- 300g Cabbage, shredded (75 cals)
- 200g Sweet pepper, thinly sliced (40 cals)
- 140g Carrots, shredded (60 cals)
- 100g Onions, thinly sliced (40 cals)
- 100g Tomatoes, thinly sliced (20 cals)
- 4oz Salted fish (120 cals)
- 10g pimento peppers, finely minced (2 cals)
- 5g scotch bonnet pepper (2 cals)
- 10g garlic, finely minced (15 cals)
- 10g chadon beni (culantro leaves) (3 cals)
- 1 tbsp lime juice (4 cals)
- black pepper to taste (2 cals)
- 1 tsp oil (40 cals)
Total calories- 425
we use as 4 servings to eat with bread/eggs/roti. You can eat alone as one serving, or add something else, do you!
- Soak salted fish in boiling water and lime juice for 10- 15mins. After soaking the fish drain the water and squeeze excess water from the salted fish.
- In a large pot heat oil and sautee onions, garlic, pimentos, scotch bonnet and salted fish for 3-4mins on a med to high heat.
- Add the remaining vegetables and cook for 10- 15mins. Lastly, add chadon beni and serve.