Taro is a starchy, root vegetable known locally in Trinidad as Dasheen. It is an extremely popular dessert ingredient in Asian countries but not so much here. In Trinidad we often use the leaves and root for soups and meals and sometimes we make (a super sugary) punch but it has so many other uses! Usually Taro smoothies are made from a powder but I wanted to use the root and its naturally nutty taste for a delicious drink that can also be used as the base for a nicecream.
The dasheen root is so starchy it thickens the smoothie and ice cream without any help.
- 1/4 cup boiled dasheen cubes
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- xylitol/stevia or honey to taste
- 1/2-1 cup ice
- Peel and cube taro, boil until tender
- Blend ingredients until smooth
- For ice cream, skip the ice, place mixture in freezer until very cold, churn in ice cream maker
- Locally we do not get purple taro, I added food colouring